Financial abuse is when an abuser controls a victim’s ability to acquire, use, and access economic resources. It occurs frequently in domestic abuse and elder abuse situations.
Watch out for these elder abuse red flags:
- Victim frequently gifts expensive items to abuser
- Victim is missing financial documents, credit cards, and valuable belongings
- Victim is unaware of monthly income or transaction history
- Victim signs a loan
- Victim writes a recent will despite being incapacitated or otherwise incapable of drafting it
- Abuser’s name is added to victim’s bank account